Wednesday, October 7, 2015

[Book Haul] September!

I'm so excited! Getting English books is becoming increasingly easier here in Lima, Peru. Before, I had to content myself with ordering on amazon every now and then. Then I found a bookshop called SBS Librería Internacional - Special Book Services and was happy for a while. But during the July book fair, I found another awesome bookshop called CarolyLibros. Nearing the end of September I took a quick trip down to the shop, which is actually a house whose first floor was converted into a shop. Books, everywhere! All of them in English. I was in heaven. I didn't plan on buying so many, but I couldn't resist.

From top to bottom, I bought The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey because I've been hearing it's name everywhere and with the movie coming out I just have to read it before watching it. The plot is really alluring, with each wave of something (and I really wanna see that it is), chances of survival lower. 

Marie Lu's Legend trilogy (Legend, Prodigy and Champion) sounds awesome. In a dystopian world where the Republic is fighting against everyone else, two people from two extreme social classes will meet when the elite June's brother is killed, and Day, a known criminal is the prime suspect. Questions arise that will make June suspect her own government. 

Kiera Cass' The Selection series (this boxset comes with The Selection, The Elite, The One and The Heir). Basically 35 girls are going to compete for the Prince's hand. America hates that she got selected. She already has her eye on someone and doesn't want anything to do with a stupid crown. You go girl. Of course, things will start to change when she meets the prince. I'm not going to lie, the first thing that went through my head when I heard about this series was that it was going to be a strange mix of Cinderella, the Hunger Games and America's Next Top Model, which prompted the image of girls in dresses cat fighting. I found it hilarious. We shall see how it turns out. 

Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver. Two sisters, Dara and Nick, become estranged after an accident leaves Dara's face scarred. But she goes missing alongside another girl, Nick is convinced there is a connection and strives to find her sister. How? No idea, I'll have to read it to find out.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I was really interested in this book since it started appearing on everyone's TBR list. I was a bit skeptical at first, but the summary sounds promising. Two classes of people, the Reds (commoners) and the Silvers (the Elite). Mare Borrow hates them, but there appears to be more than meets the eye with her and she's taken in by the Silvers, declared a lost princess, and engaged to the prince, Mare has to survive and find out the truth. Oh, and help the Red rebellion group that wants to bring down the Silver regime. Who doesn't love a good Revolution?

And last but not least, The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Rachel takes the same train every day and always sees the same couple, giving them names and a life of their own in her head. It sounds like the perfect unchanging monotonous life. Until she sees something. Something apparently shocking, which makes her go running to the police. However, now her life is linked in the case and she no longer knows if she did the right thing. What is this shocking thing she saw? I must know! 

Anyway, I don't know when I'll start with these beauties, I'm still finishing a book I started in September: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. 

Will post my September Wrap Up later today or tomorrow. Been busy binge watching Person of Interest. I swear, this series... will write a post on it soon.

Any recommendations on which book to start first? Any new books you guys bought you'd like to recommend for future buys?


No comments:

Post a Comment