Tuesday, October 13, 2015

[Book Wrap Up] September


September is over, we're on October 13th and I just took the time to grab the books read last month. They're just a few books this time, though the fault lies in health issues and binge watching Person of Interest. As you can see, this time the genres were all over the place. Mystery, romance, short stories and a slice of live short of book. I have written reviews for Death on the Nile and The Best of Me, the other two are still in the wind. Not sure if I'll write a review for them though, so no promises. 

A short summary on these books: 
Loved Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile. I'm just discovering her work. I knew about her of course, but never felt the desire to read any of her books. Now I can't stop, though I'm getting my hands on them slowly. This is the fifth book I've read by her. The other four are: At Bertram's Hotel, Murder on the Orient Express, And Then There Were None and The ABC Murders. Can't wait to buy some more!

I was a bit disappointed with Nicholas Spark's The Best of Me. The plot had a lot of potential but I feel like it focused too much on what the two main characters are thinking the whole time. The ending was like a punch to the face though, and made me change my mind, if only because I'm a sucker for books that make you cry at the end. There was one thing I didn't like, but I won't spoil it for you.

Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro is a collection of short stories focusing on the theme of people and how music plays a role in their lives. It can be a mayor role or a small one. I found the stories simple but enjoyable, with a hint of melancholy. 

Last but not least, Matthew Thomas' first novel We Are Not Ourselves is a rollercoaster of emotions. You don't know whether to hate the characters, sympathize with them or just throw the book across the room. The story is centered around a woman and her life, from when she is a littler girl to when she was her own family. You'll find heartbreak, deaths, health issues and everyday problems. Even now I don't know how to feel about it. The style is simple, to the point and leaving you wanting to know more. 

Well, those were my reads for Septembers.

What about you? Have you read these? What did you think about them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment