Wednesday, September 9, 2015

[Book Review] Death on the Nile

You Can Buy Here
Title: Death on the Nile (Goodreads)
Author: Agatha Christie
Year Published: 1937
Edition Read: 2011
Genre: Crime and Mystery
Personal Review:







Crime is afoot on the famous river, the Nile. This book explores all the positive motives. Money, jealousy, love, vengeance, opportunity, vanity. The crime? As the title of the book suggests, murder is the favored evil. 

Christie is a criminal mastermind of her own. One of my favorite things about her is that she presents numerous characters that all have a role to play. No one is there as a simple background character. Whether it be a small comment, an observation, a past relation which might be part of the bigger scheme of things, or the very same culprit, they are all important. And the best part is that it keeps you guessing.





The Plot

Hercule Poirot, our favorite Belgian detective, happens to be vacationing in Egypt, taking a ship called the Karnak in a ten day journey up and down the river to explore the wonders that surround it. On it travel an assorted group of individuals. One who is recognized by all. 

The much beloved heiress Linnet Ridgeway who was married not to the public favorite, Lord Charles Windlesham, but to a country boy called Simon Doyle. Who in turn, had been engaged to Linnet’s best friend Jacqueline de Bellefort, or Jackie as she’s often referred to. Thus, the romantic drama commences. 

Jackie describes Doyle as “-big and square and incredibly simple and boyish and utterly adorable!”, and at the same time poor. Specially now that he was out of a job. Jackie turns to her rich friend to try to hire Doyle. Not only did Linnet hire the young man but it is revealed later that they are married! 

Naturally this causes the reader to be somewhat perplexed and at the same time has them roll their eyes. ‘Of course’ one might think. Specially after Linnet’s not so subtle thought: “I like Jackie’s young man… I like him enormously…” 

As you might imagine, Jackie is not amused. 

Modern stalking practices, Facebook and the like, have got nothing on Jackie, who although neither well off nor extremely poor manages to travel around half the globe stepping on the heels of the newlywed couple on their honeymoon. And can I just take a moment to comment, what an incredible honeymoon! I don’t care if Linnet is rich, from Venice to Egypt? I’d like a honeymoon like that for sure! 

Of course everyone notices at once the odd girl and the frightened/angered reactions of the couple. Poirot is not left behind. As more and more characters interact with the dramatic love triangle the reader can almost see the crime unfold before it happens. It’s no surprise to find Linnet murdered in her room (specially since the book’s own summary revealed the victim =)). But by this point things have gotten foggy. You start to feel like your theories are going overboard and can’t help but feel frustration as Poirot hints he has an idea what happens, but as everyone knows, including his friend Colonel Race, until Poirot is 100% sure, he will say absolutely nothing. 

What I Enjoyed

The first few pages are from the points of view of the future passengers of the Karnak, which makes one start to analyze their motives. There were several instances when I thought, ‘Oh, this guy has got motive!’, and I’d feel very Poirot like. 

Among such travelers we have:
  • Linnet Ridgeway, now Linnet Doyle and her Husband Simon.
  • Linnet’s French maid, Lousie Bourget. 
  • Linnet’s American Trustee, Andrew Pennington. 
  • A romance novelist, Mrs. Salome Otterbourne and her sulky slightly snappish daughter Rosalie. Mrs. Allerton and her son Tim, who seem to love each other very much. 
  • An old and mean lady called Marie Van Schuyler and her cousin Cornelia Robson, whom he loves to control and lord over.
  • A physician named Dr. Bressner. 
  • An Italian archaeologist named Guido Richetti.
  • A young man with communist ideals named Mr. Ferguson.
  • And one Jim Fanthorp.


Nothing pleases me the most than to guess who the culprit is, although at the same time I am disappointed if it was obvious. I suspected the culprit at once when the murder happened, but the following alibis had me doubting. In the end it was big surprise. I had my culprit, but my theory had been incomplete. 

I love how Agatha writes. I find her style unique since you see multiple perspectives and thoughts. She is elegant in her writing, perhaps an instilled characteristic of the time, though I don’t fancy myself as an expert in writing styles, less so if we’re talking about a certain era. 


What I didn’t Enjoy (Spoiler Alert!)

I can’t really say I disliked anything in particular. Some of the characters were annoying but they true to their role. The ending maybe makes one wonder as to the ethics of what Poirot did. He did after all allowed the culprit to kill herself and her accomplice. They were going to hang either way and Poirot let her die on her own terms. Leaves one wondering though. 

Why I Recommend this Book

I love crime and mystery novels and anyone who shares my love of them will find it entertaining. As I mentioned before, the plot is not that complex but it does keep one on their toes. Another point in favor of Christie. She doesn’t overcomplicate things, at least not that I notice. 

I didn’t feel like there were any things left unsolved and the ending will leave you with a sense of loss. 

Below you can find the trailer to the movie from 1978.




Have you read the book? What was the most surprising thing about it? What did you think about the ending? 

No comments:

Post a Comment